Want to learn how to bake bread? Video tutorial.

Do you know how to bake bread? Have you wanted to learn?

Baking bread is one of those things that sounds so intimidating at first.  When I mention I’ve been baking bread at the weekend, I inevitably get reactions like “Wow, you know how to do that?” or “You must have a lot of free time.”

Au contraire.

I’m a bit obsessed with baking, and especially with baking bread.  I truly believe that cooking more is the key to good health.  Have you ever looked at the side of a packaged bread wrapper?  There are a whole bunch of ingredients, including lots of unpronounceable chemicals (never a good sign).  You know what’s in my bread?  Flour, water, yeast, salt, and sometimes olive oil.  That’s it.

Then there’s another element to bread baking, the intangible stuff.  It’s comforting. It’s satisfying. It’s such a sense of accomplishment. It smells amazing.  You can even use breadbaking as meditation.

I wish I could come to your house and teach you how to bake bread.  But until I can spend my days as a globe-trotting good food teacher, I’m experimenting with the next best thing: video.

So here it is, my very first video which shows you step-by-step, how to bake bread.

Would love to hear your feedback and ideas for future videos.   Happy bread baking!

Basic White Bread

500 g. strong white flour (approx 1lb flour, or 4.5 cups.  Weigh it if you can, it’s more accurate!)

1.5 tsp dried yeast

1.5 tsp salt

400 ml. warm water

1 TB olive oil (optional)

Short Method (for full instructions, watch video):

1) Mix the ingredients until just combined.

2) Turn out onto floured board and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.

3) Put in oiled bowl and let rise until doubled in size, 1.5-2 hours

4) Shape loaf and place on baking tray.  Allow to rise for 45 more minutes.  Meanwhile, preheat oven as hot as possible.  Place an empty baking pan in the bottom of the oven (to hold water while baking).

5) Boil 1 cup of water.  Slash the top of the bread with a knife.  Sprinkle/spray a little cold water on the surface of the bread.  Put the bread in the oven. Pour the boiled water into the pan in the bottom of the oven to generate steam.  Bake for 10 minutes at the hottest setting.

6) Now turn down the heat to 325f/350f (160/180c).  If the top is very brown, turn the oven to 325, if the top isn’t very brown, leave it at 350 or 375f.  Remove pan of water.  Let finish baking for 30-45 more minutes or until the loaf sounds ‘hollow’ when tapped.

7) Let cool before eating (if you can!)

Are you going to try baking bread?  Let me know your questions, and I will answer them in an upcoming video or post!

The following two tabs change content below.

Amanda

Amanda Cook is a Certified Holistic Health Coach specializing in natural beauty and herbal remedies, and the creator of VintageAmanda.com. She works with women worldwide through online and in-person workshops, and individual coaching. She also teaches health + wellness entrepreneurs to grow a healthy business online.

Latest posts by Amanda (see all)

13 Responses to Want to learn how to bake bread? Video tutorial.

1. Duong says:

Your bread looks really good and more important it doesn’t look dry at all which is what I like the most. I’ve never made bread because I’m afraid it would be dry but I think the idea of putting olive oil really works. I will try sometime but maybe with baguette shape.
    Oh, and why didn’t you mix the dough by your KA? It would work perfectly.

Hi Duong, Let me know how it turns out for you if you try it!

I have tried to use my Kitchen Aid mixer, and it works well for the beginning part of the process – but ultimately I need to finish kneading the bread by hand, I get better, smoother results that way.

Your kitchen aid mixer is more powerful than mine is though, so you might have better luck.

2. Maure says:

Amanda, this is a GREAT video!
    I have tried several times to bake bread but I never found a recipe which gave the correct way to knead the bread. People mostly use bread machines and add a comment “if you are doing this by hand, knead for 30 minutes”… Which is discouraging and does not show the way to do it.
    My homemade bread is currently risins… :-)

Hi Maure, so glad it’s helpful for you!! Please let me know how it turns out.
      I must admit I didn’t bake bread much while I lived in Paris because there are so many quality boulangeries … then when I moved to the UK I was so desperate for good bread I didn’t have a choice!! :)

3. Brittany says:

I can’t wait to pass this on to my boyfriend, he’s wanted to bake some bread for ages. Thanks for the recipe. :D

4. Thursday says:

I’ve recently become rather obsessed with making my own bread despite having a perfectly good breadmaker, with rather disappointing results (bread doesn’t rise a great deal). Seemingly, it’s because I’m following British recipes but using French flour which is slightly different and therefore the dough doesn’t behave in the same way. I’m going to keep at it because there is indeed something so very satisfying and therapeutic about making your own bread.
    Well put-together video, clear instructions.

5. Steffie says:

Bread! I love baking. I really do. And I never realized anyone else considered it meditative, but kneading dough is just rhythmic and stilling and the world washes out of the background. I have to set timers on my kneading, or I’ll over do it. Not so bad for the beer bread, but definitely no good for the sourdough.

Always interesting to run across a method that doesn’t activate the yeast first…. I’m chicken to try it though.

Steffie, it might depend on the type of yeast you use. The one I’m using now is a ‘quick’ yeast that doesn’t require proofing/activation first.

6. Lissa says:

Glad to hear from you! I’ve been a follower for a few months, give or take, and I was starting to be concerned. :)

Personally I dislike video tutorials, no matter how big a fan I am of the subject matter or recorder. However, if you like recording them you should go for it (especially if you condense the information below like you did here!).

Hi Lissa, thanks for your concern, just had a really busy week and didn’t have any project time!! :)

Don’t worry, the majority of my posts and projects will continue to be blog posts, just trying out some different ways to reach new readers (and make the projects easier to understand!)

7. Maya says:

Thank you Amanda for bread-inspiration video!