Homemade Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer

What’s your coffee weakness?   I am a sucker for seasonality.  I’m talking about those fancy seasonal drinks at coffee shops, and the limited edition bottles of coffee creamer in the grocery stores.  Especially if that seasonal flavor is Pumpkin Spice (read: pumpkin pie in a glass).

There are a couple of problems with this craving for drinkable pumpkin pie goodness in my coffee:

1.  I prefer homemade coffee.  Mainly because coffee shops are really expensive.  Also, I like to drink coffee while in my PJs.  (And because I don’t know what goes into the drinks … artificially flavored syrups, zillions of calories, and who knows what else.)

2.  Flavored liquid coffee creamer doesn’t exist in the UK!  (I know!  Tragic.)

But even if you can find pumpkin spice coffee creamer in your local store – have you read the ingredients on the bottle?  It’s not made from cream.  Especially in the pumpkin spice version – there are lots of unpronounceable things, artificial flavors and tons of sugar.  It doesn’t really fit my food philosophy.

Fortunately (well, out of desperation), I came up with a solution.  Homemade pumpkin spice coffee creamer.  Made from REAL food – like cream, milk, maple syrup, and of course, pumpkin!  Just try not to drink it straight from the jar – save some for your coffee.

Making coffee creamer is quick and easy.  You could make a double batch on the weekend and it would last throughout the week in the fridge.

While testing this recipe, I wanted to do a side-by-side comparison of store-bought creamer to my homemade version to refine the taste.  Much like the vanilla extract experiment, tasting the storebought coffee creamer was absolutely disgusting!

While it is yummy in coffee, the taste of the creamer alone is so intensely strong and chemical-pumpkin flavored.  It really put me off.

Whereas, when you taste this homemade version, it is like drinking creamy liquid pumpkin pie.  It’s THAT good!

(If you want to drink a whole glass of it, I suggest making it with all milk, and serving it as an alternative to hot chocolate, maybe with whipped cream on the top.  YUM!)

Ready to make some? Here we go!

Note: I usually drink my coffee unsweetened, so I didn’t put very much maple syrup in this version.  You can increase the amount to taste.

Homemade Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer

Makes 1 cup

1 cup half and half (or, 1/2 c. whole milk, 1/2 c. single cream)

3 Tb. pumpkin

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. ginger

dash of cloves

dash of nutmeg

2 Tb. maple syrup (or more, to taste)

1 tsp. vanilla extract

Method:

In a pan on the stove, combine all ingredients.  Heat over medium-low until milk is steaming, whisking frequently.  (You don’t want to boil the milk! Just get it steaming.  If it does accidentally boil it, you can still use it, it just changes the flavor a bit.)

Optional: Pour through a fine mesh strainer into your pouring container, to remove any bits.  This makes your coffee smoother.

Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

To use:  Just pour into coffee instead of milk!

What’s your favorite coffee creamer flavor? I think I’ll tackle Gingerbread next!

Learn the secrets of effective (and natural!) anti-aging

Join my new online workshop to learn:

* 3 common foods that might be making you look + feel older
* the 4 major signs of aging skin, and how to improve them naturally
* effective anti-aging recipes you can make in minutes
...and more!

18 Responses to Homemade Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer

1. Daniela says:

I am not sure. Do I have to use REAL Pumpkin or the 100% natural can (picture)?
    THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Hi Daniela – I used canned pumpkin, but you can use real cooked pumpkin or canned pumpkin, whichever you have.

2. Laura says:

Made this last night and my coffee is amazing this morning :)

3. Leslie says:

Please make gingerbread next!!!

4. Katherine says:

I was wondering if I can make a big batch and freeze some of it?

I haven’t had great luck freezing cream myself – anyone else?

• Terra says:

I know this question was from a year ago but I may have an answer. I haven’t tried it myself but I have read that you can freeze creamer in an ice cube tray instead. You fill it up like you would with water, but instead you put creamer in it. Keep the frozen creamer cubes in freezer bags and then drop one or two(or however many you like) into your cup of coffee. I haven’t tried it yet myself but thought I’d offer this tip.

5. thesuperjodi says:

I’m not Amanda, but read this and know the answer! ;) I always make my own pumpkin puree which is similar to the solid pack pumpkin you’ll find in stores here in the US. It’s basically just what you would use for pumpkin pie filling. so you can take pumpkin and steam it with some water until soft and then puree it. I add water as needed if it is too thick, but in this case you want it thick so it wouldn’t take hardly anything. Just enough to make a thick puree out of the cooked pumpkin. Then use that as you would the can pumpkin.. it tastes better anyway! :)

6. Sarah P says:

Oh I forgot to mention I generally don’t like creamer in my coffee…but this might change all that!

7. Sarah P says:

I made it this morning it is spectacular! I was out of nutmeg and cloves but I know the pumpkin pie spice you can get in the container has all the spices you called for so I used a teaspoon of that instead. When I added it to my coffee I could only taste the spices no pumpkin so I added a little bit of sugar to my coffee…BAM! pumpkin pie in my coffee…best thing ever! Thanks for sharing this amazing recipe!!

8. Jo Bowman says:

Ooh, can’t wait to try this one. Hope you come up with some new ones. Did you try the gingerbread yet? How about a white chocolate mocha?

9. Wendy says:

you could definitely steam,puree and freeze the pumpkin I do just that for baby food! (Jasper lurves pumpkin puree!)

10. Kris says:

Hazelnut isn’t a holiday flavor but it’s my favorite. I absolutely agree with you on your post- too many chemicals and unhealthy additives- including trans fats in the store bought creamers. Thanks for the recipe

11. Maya says:

Thanks a looot, girls! Will try :)

@Maya, Laurie’s advice is right-on! The canned pumpkin is just cooked, pureed pumpkin. You could definitely make your own. (Wonder if you could divide the cooked, pureed pumpkin into smaller containers and freeze it?)

@Laurie – thanks! Also, you could try this recipe without the pumpkin and just use the cream and spices … it would still taste really yummy I think.

@Steffie, great trick about the cheesecloth!

13. Steffie says:

If you steam and puree your own pumpkin, but are worried about excess moisture, let it sit out for an hour or two after you blenderize it; dimple the surface with the back of a spoon so you have peaks and valleys in your pumpkin mush. It’ll form pockets of water. Soak those out with a paper towel or washcloth or what have you, and stick it in the fridge, covered, overnight. More liquid will have gathered by morning, just soak it out again. Regardless of your steaming or baking method, certain types of pumpkins are “wetter” than others. After working with many, this is the best trick I’ve got besides straining it overnight in a cheesecloth and colander in the fridge. One of my cheesecloths is STILL orange. *shrug*

14. Laurie says:

@Maya:

It’s difficult to find canned pumpkin where I live too. But for all of my pumpkin recipes (just had pumpkin tonight!), I just take a whole pumpkin, peal it, cut it, and remove seeds and strings, then steam it. After I mash it and it’s just like you find in the can. Just be careful that when you steam it the pumpkin isn’t sitting in liquid, otherwise the mashed pumpkin will be very runny.

@Amanda: Love this recipe! Will definitely use this. Thanks!

15. Maya says:

Hi Amanda , thanks for the new reciepie! Could you please specify -what exactly is 100% natural solid pack pumpkin? how does it look like ? Can I just use a piece of freh pumpkin cut into small pieces? cause Im afriad, there is no such product in the place I live .. thanks for your comments!