The kitchen secret for great skin, put honey on your face!

honey

I am a beauty product junkie. I admit it.

I’ve got gold card at Sephora.

But through my research into natural beauty, I’ve discovered that lots of the products we buy are filled with chemicals!   And what we put ON our bodies, goes INTO our bodies.  (Yep, it’s absorbed into your skin … how do you think nicotine patches work?)

So when I stumbled across this common kitchen ingredient that can improve your skin, I couldn’t believe it.  Then I tried it, and I was hooked.  Smooth, soft, moisturised skin, fewer spots/breakouts, and really inexpensive!  What is this wonder ingredient?

Honey!

Is honey good for your face?

Yes!  Honey is naturally antibacterial, soothing and healing to the skin.  Honey has been used for hundreds (probably thousands) of years as a skin healer and beauty product.

Of course, you can be allergic to anything – so if you’re allergic to honey, this is not the beauty tip for you!  But for everyone else, yes, honey IS good for your face (and all of your skin).  Give it a try!

Why is honey effective?

Honey is traditionally known as a natural antibacterial.  It is used (even in some allopathic medicine) as a skin healer (for example, helping to heal ulcers).   Because of this skin healing action, it may be helpful for people with acne.

Honey is also softening and moisturizing.  And honey smells and tastes delicious!

How can I use honey on my skin?

You can use honey as a facial cleanser or as a face mask.  I suggest using pure, organic honey.

Also, if you have very sensitive skin, you should try a test first on your inner arm, or +a small part of your jawline, before attempting your entire face!

How to wash your face with honey (use honey as a face cleanser)

To use honey to cleanse your face, first, tie back your hair.  (Getting honey in your hair is sticky and unpleasant!).

I prefer to spread some honey on my dry face, as it spreads easier.

Put a spoonful of honey on your fingers, and spread over your entire face.   I put some on my lips as well, for mild exfoliation and moisturizing (or make this homemade lip scrub).

Let the honey sit on your face for 2 minutes.

Either rinse off with warm water, or use a washcloth in warm water to slightly exfoliate.  If you wear makeup, you may want to remove your makeup first, as the honey doesn’t remove makeup.

As an alternative natural face cleanser, you might try making this hot cloth cleanser.

How to use honey as a face mask

Tie back hair.  Apply to dry, cleansed skin.  Apply layer of honey all over face.  Let sit 10 minutes.  Rinse off with warm water or a warm washcloth.  (If you want to make a mini-spa experience out of it, try an herbal face steam first, then a honey mask.)

What if the honey goes solid/grainy?

Grainy honey is an extra-powerful exfoliator!  Use it as a facial scrub, or soften your honey like this.

Want more natural beauty tips?

Check out my DIY Beauty 101 for simple homemade natural beauty tips.

roadmaptohealth_thumb

Learn the secrets of effective (and natural!) anti-aging

Join my new online workshop to learn:

* 3 common foods that might be making you look + feel older
* the 4 major signs of aging skin, and how to improve them naturally
* effective anti-aging recipes you can make in minutes
...and more!

109 Responses to The kitchen secret for great skin, put honey on your face!

1. tina says:

Wow I Love all the comments I am going to buy that honey tonight will let you all no what I think
    Tina

2. amo says:

hallo today is my day two of using honey and so positive its gonna work out for me. I have a very bad skin break out and it makes me wanna scream each time i look at my self in the mirror.

3. kim hoang says:

Is sugar (in honey) on skin bad? I heard about glycation

4. Elissa says:

I’ve been washing my face with honey for several weeks now and it’s the only thing I’ve tried that leaves my skin feeling fresh and moisturized without over drying and doesn’t make me break out. To turn this into a make-up remover, I put a dollop of honey on a wet washcloth and sprinkle some baking soda over top, gently rub all over my face and rinse. It’s wonderful!

5. Lois says:

I have been cleansing my face for about a month now with honey and my skin has never been healthier or smoother and I have had chronically sensitive and problematic skin all my life. I use organic raw honey which has a really nice texture. It is slightly grainy and not as much like glue as the processed kind. I wet my face first and then spread a dollop of honey all over, massage in then rinse well. I then wipe diluted ACV all over as a toner, then a homemade vitin c serum then one or two drops of a facial oil blend if my skin feels dry which it usually doesn’t. Very easy, effective and inexpensive. And natural! Thanks for the honey idea!

Excellent! Have you seen my apple cider vinegar skin toner? That sounds very close to what you’re doing.

6. charitykufazvineyi says:

what do you reccomend for me to use as a face cream after l cleanse with honey?

7. katie says:

Tried this and I have a burn below my lip and I heard it was also suppose soothe burns and I dis it and idk if it is going to work I also put aloe vera on my face works amazingly!

8. joybelle vicente says:

I tried honey cleanser for four days now and I gotta say I just love it! It smoothens my skin and doesnt break me out! In fact, it healed my pimples :)

9. [...] Honey Face Mask **one of my very favorite tricks! It’s super easy. [...]

10. Molly says:

About to try the honey mask! Eeep. BUT I heard that you should microwave the honey for a few seconds before applying it to your face, that way it’s not as sticky and it will be easier to put on. Yay okay

• Liza says:

I wouldn’t microwave it probably… Overheating honey will kill the natural enzymes in the honey and you’ll lose all the benefits. This is why pasteurized honey really isn’t that good for you (and it’s also the kind you find in most supermarkets– don’t buy the bear!) If you want all the natural benefits of honey you need to buy honey that’s labeled “raw”– this means it hasn’t been pasteurized or anything. My favorite honey is from Ambrosia Honey Co., it’s %100 pure, raw honey and I think it tastes a lot better too!

• Molly says:

Ohhhh okay thanks for the info. I already had the bear kind of honey in the cabinet.. So I used that. It still made my skin very very soft and clean feeling!

11. Rekha says:

I have tried honey face mask and it is quiet simple & very effective. My Mother has been using this from years she is simply pretty and awesome skin. My Mother looks like my sister but i have small acne in my skin. My mother’s skin not even a spot mark :-)
    So Gals I personally recommend Honey to be a part of diet Daily for young looking skin

12. princy says:

i have dry skin but just now a few days ago on my skin start pimples .,..i m 23year old,,i m worried about it because after 4month my marrage …i start to hunny on my face,,,,pls if u have any tips for me please help me ,,i want also grow my weight because only 42 kg i have i want 45 in 4month nd skin also want fair nd white ,

13. juned says:

How to use in rough skin

14. [...] Honey Face Mask **one of my very favorite tricks! It’s super easy. [...]

15. brianna green says:

My mom uses honey on her face and her face is so smooth. I’m gonna start trying it.wish me good luck

16. Hi, my mom used this since she was young (she’s 50 now). Her skin is amazing. She’s never used make up in her life. So I know for a fact honey helps skin. I also hear washing face with milk is great

17. Avi says:

Hello ladies, I just turn 40 and it hit me oh my am getting older… I never took care of my face i always used soap (dove) and water , and E oil from walmart cost 1.69. But now that I am getting older and seeing some wrinkles am worried please help… I will try the honey but any other sugestion will be greatly appreciate…thanks!

Hi Avi, you should be able to find other recipes by searching the site… Especially for making custom facial oil which is really nice. Also make sure to stay hydrated by drinking enough water. And look at your diet as well (eat your veggies!). If you want to talk more about it send me a message through the contact form.

• Beauty Guru says:

Hey Avi,
      I have spent years and many hours of my life researching beauty secrets and the key’s to beautiful skin, I highly recommend purchasing some grape seed oil and using it as your daily moisturizer, Grape seed oil is a natural anti-inflammatory, which means it will help with acne as well as prolonged use will lighten age spots and under-eye circles, you would also greatly benefit from grape seed oils moisture retention properties as this will help fill in those wrinkles with moisture to help mask the appearance of fine lines.

18. rey says:

you can apply vinegar first to your face and leave it 2mins. then wash it w/ warm water then put a honey in your face, you will see the beautiful result..do this everyday before you sleep at night.

19. Song says:

I’m too busy and never have the time to apply honey to my face at home. The only time I have is when I go to the gym. I clean my face very good before I go to the steamer room. I apply some honey on to my face then while I was just sit in there, I just massage the honey onto my whole face and neck. My skin feels very smooth and soft after. All of you ladies should try this, you will love it.

• Ali says:

Do you simply just rub the honey on your face whilst in the steam room?
      And what sort of results have you got from this

20. Lynn Choban says:

Been doing this for years. I leave it on for 1/2 hour though let my face soak in as much goodness as it can, why not spoil the first thing people look into :). I would however not recommend putting honey on eyelids or around eyes since the skin is very delicate around that area. I add 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon to my honey mask to help clear up any small breakouts however this has been known to irritate most skin types. I would test it in on a little part of skin vs. the entire face. Feel beautiful ladies!

• Elee says:

I add powdered oatmeal and leave it for 20 minutes, when I rinse, I rub to exfoliate and it is great. It takes care of dark spots, rashes, irritation, etc.

21. jessica says:

i tried honey on my face,kept it on 15 min rinsed off and did it again when i was finished my skin was unbelievebly soft and smooth.what a big difference…

22. [...] you can’t be bothered turning on the stove to make face cleanser – try using honey as a face mask instead.  It’s easy and really [...]

23. Rozenn says:

I tried the honey mask tonight. On the downside, my eyelids were sticking when I wanted to blink… On the plus side, it came off really easily, was easy to clean off hands / sink, and tasty! But most of all, it was really good to know exactly what I was putting on my face and being confident in the very high quality of it. Oh and also, very cheap!

24. i used a homemade coffee scrub, and while it was nice on my skin, it wreaked havoc on my tub and shower curtains. the huge mess to clean was not worth the minute of pampering.

honey sounds less risky:)

• Elee says:

LOL why will you make a big mess? If you were supposed to just had used it in your face, not bathe in it … Too funny

• Anna says:

I too tried a coffee scrub and I assure you it makes a big mess – there’s plenty of oil in the coffee grounds. The amount of water needed to clean up the coffee was too much to consider doing it again. Might try it on the back lawn and hose myself clean sometime!