I admit I’m a beauty product junkie. I used to work across the street from Sephora, and was too frequently tempted to pop in during lunch and pick up a few items. That was a fun but expensive habit.
On my continued quest to learn how to live a healthier, more natural life, I’ve started detoxing my beauty routine.
That means reading ingredients, looking for natural alternatives, and trying DIY beauty solutions to find what really works!
Creating homemade beauty products is a lot like cooking – you start with a recipe to learn the basics, and then customize them as you get more confident. This is my very favorite part of DIY beauty: you can customize the products to your own skin type (and use really high-quality ingredients, without paying retail prices!).
In this article I give you a flexible recipe that you can use to customize your own face & body cream.
If you’d like a specific recipe, try making my popular Stress Relief Body Cream.
(Or, if you’d like a more gentle introduction to DIY beauty, try using honey as a face mask).
How to make a face and body cream
Making a face or body cream is a bit like making mayonnaise.
You have oils, and waters. You blend them together to form the cream.
This is where the miracle happens. Everyone knows that oil & water don’t mix … but when you blend them together with the right ingredients in the right proportions, suddenly they turn from separate ingredients into one thick, lovely cream!
Give this recipe a try.
Remember to find some gorgeous packaging that appeals to you – as all the big beauty brands know, the packaging is half of the fun of using the product.
You can customize this cream with any type of waters, oils and essential oils that suit your skin type.
Make your own Face & Body Cream – choose your ingredients
You could use rose water, orange flower water (also called hydrosols) or an herbal infusion (also called herb tea!). I like to include about one third aloe vera gel in this amount.
You could use almond oil, grapeseed oil, olive oil (although this has a stronger smell). I used a combination of almond and grapeseed.
You should also include beeswax and cocoa butter or shea butter to firm up the cream.
You can buy most of the liquid oils in the grocery store, but you may want to order beeswax and the butters online from Mountain Rose Herbs.
DIY Face and Body Cream Recipe
Waters – 3/4 c. total (use a combination of your floral waters and aloe vera)
Essential Oils – 5 drops your choice
- In a double boiler (or a bowl over a pan of simmering water), heat the oils until melted. Some oils, like cocoa butter and beeswax, are solid at room temperature. So you need to melt all the oils (solid & liquid) together, making sure you have 3/4 c. oil total at the end.
- Pour the oils into a blender (or, into another container if using a stick-blender). Let the oils cool to room temperature.
- Start the blender – then slowly pour the water in – at some point the blender noise will change and you’ll notice that you have cream! Keep blending to incorporate all of the water. You can also blend the cream by hand, but be ready for a workout!
- Add the drops of essential oil, and stir to disperse throughout the cream.
- Scoop the cream into sterilized jars. Label the jars (don’t forget to include the date!).
That’s it! Making face and body cream is just like cooking – but you end up with a super luxurious, fresh body product.